Friday, June 23, 2006

The pool

The pool was a different experience today. The changing rooms were full of mosquitos and there were slightly fewer people, though the visibility underwater was no better than last time. The difference is that I have been noticed

There are two guys in their 60's who are serious swimmers. They have speedo type trunks, rubber caps and goggles. I noticed them watching me the first time I went swimming. Today they were about three lanes away from me when I got in the water and by the time I had done ten lengths they were in the same lane, watching.

When I reached their end of the pool one graciously swept aside and indicated with his hand that I should pass between them. I did so, turned and swam off. I could hear vaguely amused comments behind me. Next time I got to their end one of the them swam out to meet me and then walked backwards in front of me waving his arms and making encouraging noises to make me go faster (they both swim faster than me), he then applauded. After this I switched to front crawl, which no one here can do to an even mediocre standard. As I swam away the noises now sounded distinctly approving and as I swam through a group of lounging teenagers at the other end of the pool I received a "vewey gooood" and lots of smiles.

I can't wait to see what happens next time I go, that is if there is a next time. Today I swallowed a mouthful of the opaque liquid which inhabits the pool. My excuse is that I was in collision with someone who was swimming back and forth ACROSS the lanes.

I finished today attending one of the last rehearsals before Work's concert tomorrow night. There are 70 participants, all HIV positive many with real talent and all with masses of enthusiasm and energy everyone was having a great time. I finished up helping with timing and continuity, apparently the concert has to run to time and finish before the football starts or the audience are likely to walk out!

With the final dress rehearsal in the morning and the concert tomorrow night it looks like the review of my presentation on Monday will actually happen on Sunday, still offices here are all open 24x7 since it is cheaper to employ a guard than buy good locks or an alarm. Time for a beer.