Sunday, June 11, 2006

I've joined the world of Bloggers!

So what do I do next? Write something I suppose. I find it hard to believe I've been here for three weeks, had over a dozen language lessons and learned... well... nothing - even my pronunciation of the word "I" gets criticised and if I try to say something more complicated people just stare at me in disbelief. He's not speaking English, they say to each other, wonder what language it is?

I'm getting used to being here and a few of the bigger differences between this world and the one I left in Nottingham. For example being touched by men - Hung held my hand as we walked out of the airport when we arrived, a few days later a taxi driver stroked my back as I stood waiting to cross the road. The local pub landlord - who thinks we are Germans - gripped my knee as he asked me in half German half Vietnamese where one of our party was last night. Its nothing to worry about, they are just being friendly and some people just want to touch a westerner.

Traffic is a revelation. No one looks before they do anything, they just assume everyone else will move out of their way. No one stops at red lights and you have to look both ways when crossing a one way street. Pavements are for shortcuts and parking your motorbike, the white line is to help you stay straight so you should drive straight down it and the hundred people behind you sounding their horns are not trying to get past, they are just being friendly.

There is nothing which cannot be carried on the back of a motorbike and even a pushbike can handle a fridge freezer! Nominally they drive on the right here, so the best way to turn left is to get on the wrong side of the road, then people can go round you without getting in your way. This includes dual carriageways. After all it doesn't make sense to drive past your turn off and have to come back to it, does it?

I've eaten roast frog (the whole animal, not just the legs) roast Egret (more energy consumed opening it up than derived from eating it), shelled whole king prawns with a pair of chop sticks and got used to the idea that the small prawns are easier eaten whole, forget the shelling its not worth the effort. I've come to realise that if vietnamese women bought food processors they would have nothing to do all day and I've realised I am again in a country where nothing has a fixed price.

Speaking of prices, beer is just over 10p a pint and I can get a good meal on the street for 30p, however my living allowance is about five pounds thirty a day and that includes everything appart from my accommodation costs. I just bought a made to measure suit for 53pounds, ten days allowance gone!

Anyway, that is enough for now. I need to find out more about how this site works, customise it get some photos on and tell you all where to find it.

More later bye for now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found your blog. Love it! We're adopting a child from Vietnam, God willing, so I find your stories about Hanoi fascinating. Keep them coming!

Tuesday, 12 August, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home